Can I receive a tax refund greater than what I paid in?

You might be getting a refundable tax credit. A tax refund is treated like a payment of tax you made during the year. You get the credit, even if you do not owe tax. Additional Child Tax Credit and the Earned Income Credit are some examples of refundable credits. The American Opportunity Tax Credit (for education) is partially refundable. You can also receive credit for repayments of taxable income in previous years.

Related Tax Questions